Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 12:09:39 -0500
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: emoticons in the Handbook

At 02:25 2001-07-21 -0700, Murray Stokely wrote:
>  Does anyone mind if Chern and I add emoticons to our list of cleanup
>items?  It appears that at least one reviewer was put off by our
>liberal use of them :

I tend to agree with him. We go out of the way not to use "can't",
"isn't", etc, because we want to look professional. Emoticons kill
that image.

>  Do people prefer to see ";)" in HTML output?  We could of course add
>an entity that only displays emoticons for HTML output if that would
>be desired.

No, I would prefer not to see emoticons at all. But if we are
going to keep them, we should consider this:

There is a Unicode for smiley face, in fact there are three of them:
U+2323 - SMILE
U+263A - WHITE SMILING FACE
U+263B - BLACK SMILING FACE

(those are hexadecimal numbers, obviously).

Of the three, &#x263A; seems to be available on most browsers.
Lynx can handle them all, but Windows browsers need a proper font,
and the default fonts that come with Windows do not support U+2323,
but do support U+263A and U+263B.

Additionally, they support U+2639, which is defined as WHITE
FROWNING FACE (as in :( that is). There also is U+2322 (FROWN),
which, like SMILE, is not supported by the default Windows
fonts.

So, if we go with emoticons, we should define &smile; and &frown;,
then use &#x263A; and &#x2639; respectively in HTML, but probably
use U+2323 and U+2322 in print (i.e., PostScript, PDF) -- though
we may need to supply an appropriate PostScript font.

Adam

---
http://phonecowboy.com/registrar/twist/ finds a good domain for you
and checks for its existence.