Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:02:54 +0200 (EET)
From:      Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Selecting which programs to keep in base system

Hello all,

I thought about posting this to freebsd-stable too, but I think this
is more of a newbie/faq question.

How can I manipulate -easily- which base system files (in e.g. /bin,
/sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin) will be installed/compiled when I cvsup the
sources and make world ?

The problem is, according to /var/log/setuid.today, I have ~70 files which
are setuid root (95% of them from base system).  Talk about security!
I'd like to remove the ones I don't need and never hear of them again
(like ppp*, r*, yp*).  Also, having stuff like this along just takes some
HDD space too.   I couldn't care less of having e.g. some games in my
system.

So, are there any utilities to keep track which base programs/sources are
installed and which are not - and how to keep them that way so that make
world won't mess those up?

Btw, regarding setuid.today.. are there any good "master" references which
files in the base system really need to be +s ?  I can't believe all ~70
of them have to be...

Regards,
 Pekka Savola

Btw, I don't subscribe to the list, so please CC this to me if anything
comes up.