Date:      Thu, 26 Nov 1998 07:28:49 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel threads

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 00:52:18 -0800 (PST), Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
[Redesign the entire KVM subsystem]
>    I just don't know how feasible it all is... it would mean a huge amount of
>    rewriting.
And I don't suppose you currently have the time to examine it in detail :-).

>  The disadvantage of this
>    scheme is that it limits main memory to around 2GB on a 32 bit machine.

Whilst I don't believe this is a serious problem at present, I can see
that it might be in a couple of years.

I presume that the problem is that something is signed - although I'm
not sure what in particular.  Is there a real reason for that object
to be signed?  If it's just to allow a `-1 on error', could it be
unsigned with 0xFFFFFFFF reserved?  Alternatively, could it have a
granularity larger than 1 byte?

>    The benefits cascade very quickly.... if one is willing to give up > 2GB
>    memory configurations on 32 bit cpus.
In which case it would seem worthwhile doing some more detailed
examination.  In particular, how much effort would be involved and
whether the 2GB boundary can be avoided.

Now 3.0 is nearly stable, we need a new bleeding edge for -current.  This
sounds like a good start for FreeBSD 4.x :-).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited