Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:46:00 +0100
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bridging a 802.1Q VLAN-Trunk

Hello,

I have some difficulties to understand the bridge(4) man-page.

I want to build a filtering bridge between two 802.1Q VLAN-Trunk
interfaces and in the meantime I assume that I make some mistakes
configuring the bridge...

Actually I configured the bridge (for one VLAN only as an example)
"bge0:1,bge1:1,vlan0:2,vlan1:2", where 'vlan0' has the parent interface
'bge0' and the same for index 1. But I'm uncertain, if this is correct.

First, the man-page says, "By putting both physical and logical
(vlan(4)) interfaces in the same cluster, a FreeBSD box can also
implement what in commercial terms is called a ``trunk'' interface."

I understand this as "bge0:1,bge1:1,vlan0:1,vlan1:1,...."
Does this keep the several VLANs isolated from each other?
Have the parent interfaces to be in there?
Why?

Or is my original configuration correct to put each VLANs vlan(4)
interfaces in their own cluster? Again, have the parent interfaces to
have their own cluster? Have they to appear anyway? In an example in
bridge(4) I read they must not appear to avoid loops...

I must admit, I'm a bit confused :-}

Can anybody explain this more clearly to me?

Thanks a lot - Matthias
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)
PGP-Key at <pgp.mit.edu> and <wwwkeys.de.pgp.net> ID: 0xDDFB0A5F