Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:39:22 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future of RAIDFrame

Scott Long wrote:

> I started RAIDframe three years ago with the hope of bringing a proven
> and extensible RAID stack to FreeBSD.  Unfortunately, while it was made
> to work pretty well on 4.x, it has never been viable on 5.x; it never
> survived the introduction of GEOM and removal of the old disk layer.
> I'm coming to the conclusion that I really don't have the time to work
> on it in my spare time.  Also, I've seen next to zero interest in it
> from others, except for the occasional reminder that it doesn't work.

William Carrel used to maintain a set of patches for RAIDframe on 4.x,
were they ever committed? No? Why not?

WRT lack of interest in RF. First, the 5.0 patches were horrible. That
code was a mess to work with. Second, inertia. Most people with simple
needs like mirroring and/or simple stripes were happy with good old
ccd(4). Those who needed a full volume manager (which neither ccd nor RF
claim to be) used vinum. People with VxVM experience feel at home with
it. Unfortunately, vinum has its own set of issues as well.

It's probably easier to write a set of GEOM classes from scratch than
trying to shoehorn RF into GEOM.

Cheers,
	Miguel Mendez
	http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org