Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2018 20:52:53 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>, "bsd-lists@BSDforge.com" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Console is broken after updating to 11.2-RELEASE

Chris H wrote:
[stuff snipped]

>> Thank you for information. I added above lines to /boot/loader.conf
>> and rebooted system. Then all boot messages are displayed and console
>> works fine!
>
>WooHoo! :-)
>
>I could make further observations based on *why* that worked. But several
>are likely, and I don't have enough info on your hardware. But now that
>you are no longer "blind". You should have little trouble sorting out the
>cause.
I have no idea if this helps, but running a fairly recent head kernel, when=
 I would
switch virtual consoles, the screen would go blank until I power cycled the=
 SVGA
monitor.
I switched to "sc" and the problem went away.
(This is an old Pentium 4 with what dmesg calls a "Generic VGA display".)

I don't see the same problem with a laptop of the same era.

Just in case it gives you a hint w.r.t. the problem, rick