Date:      Tue, 28 May 2002 21:07:04 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Richard Wenninger <richard@richardw.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UMA lock

Richard Wenninger wrote:
> This is my first attempt at running "current".
>
> Please forgive if this question is out of line.
>
> After rebuilding everything, my console continually repeats this message:
>
> /usr/src/sys/vm/uma_core.c:1324: could sleep with "UMA lock" locked from
> /usr/src/sys/vm/uma-core.c:1157
>
> Should I be concerned?

Excessively concerned: no.  But these are all *real* problems that must
be fixed.

Specifically, they are holding locks while calling a function that *might*
tsleep() if memory is low at the time.  If it does tsleep, it will panic or
otherwise lead to a deadlock or corruption.

The fact that they've gone largely unnoticed until now means that it is not
an urgent problem (which is why it is a warning), but if you run really low
of memory you will find out just how serious it is.

The bug is that things are calling things like malloc with M_WAITOK when
waiting is explicitly not allowed.  There are other functions that can
tsleep as well that we have not added checks for yet, so this is likely
just the tip of the iceberg.  :-(

Cheers,
-Peter