Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Login validation by home directory location (PAM?)

Hi,

   I have an administration problem that I'm trying to solve and
I'm looking for comments and ideas.

   I have about 6000 users in the passwd file. We have a number
of compute servers available to these users which (the boss)
wants to have allocated according to where the users home
directory is located. All the home directories are mounted
via amd on a /nfs/machine.name.domain/ mount point.

   user1:::::/nfs/m1/usr/home/user1
   user2:::::/nfs/m1/usr/home/user2
   user3:::::/nfs/m1/usr/home/user3

   For example, I want to allow user2 access to host server2, but
not hosts server1 or server3. I don't want to have alot of
passwd file maintenance, so I thought about modifing login
to validate on the users home directory. So, in auth_traditional(),
I check to see where the home directory is, and if it is valid
for the current machine I authorize the login, otherwise I output
an access denied msg and return failure.

   There must be a better way of doing this, but I don't see
how. I've looked at PAM, but I don't understand how I could make
this type of facility work except maybe in the pam_authenticate()
routine. However, this seems complicated compared to simply
modifying auth_traditional().

   I'd appreciate any comments from folks who have done anything
similar or used PAM to solve a related type of management issue.

Thanks!
John