Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 23:40:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limewire 2.4.4

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 09:08:22AM -0400, Dylan Carlson wrote:
> Just tried Limewire under JDK 1.3.1p6 this morning.  At first I was quite
> encouraged, it started up exactly as it does under Windows (same splash
> screen, etc).  The main screen comes up and it starts counting the files in
> your library.
>
> Looks very good at this stage (performance looks great, actually).   During
> this, you can launch a search or go between the tabs just fine.   At some
> juncture later (while still counting media files it can find in the path
> you've configured) the VM bails out.
>
> This can either be a SIGSEGV or SIGBUS type failure, but it is usually a
> SIGSEGV.   The count of files within Limewire display a count total of 2700
> and that's where it fails.   I have exactly 3028 files in the path it is
> searching.  No filenames (I am aware of) that could trip up the application.
>
> I am using the Pro version (which I bought) which isn't (functionally) any
> different from the freeware one except that there aren't any advertisements.
> Limewire doesn't officially support FreeBSD (this is a "Linux" build) but
> they say it will run on JDK 1.3.1.
>
> A special environment var is required for Limewire.   J2SE_PREEMPTCLOSE needs
> to be set to "1", which they say is to work around some limitations in JDK
> 1.3.1.
>
> I have several core files if someone wants to look at them.  I'd like to get
> some feedback from people before I file a PR.   Curious what your experiences
> are.

This is a known problem:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/36951

Or at least is similar to one :).  There is a workaround (run with java_g
instead of java), but no solution yet.  You are welcome to have a bash at
it!

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com