Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 17:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Rhapsody and FreeBSD

I recently posted a question to -questions that is more appropriately
discussed here. I include the message that I refer to after my .sig for
your reference.

To have apple express _direct_ interest in FreeBSD is the BOON of a
lifetime. I invite someone to tell me that a relationship with Apple
would be bad for FreeBSD.

(As a side note, mac users tend to be rebellious against MS as much as
any free software user. To this end, the two groups are compatible. The
enemy of my enemy is my friend.)

Consider this possible (yet fictitious) headline.

"Apple Computer Incorporates Free Software"

Free software seems to be on the upswing. On the coattails of Netscape's
recent announcement to distribute Navigator source code, Apple Computer
announced today that it will use FreeBSD in the core of its operating
system called "Rhapsody." Rhapsody is Apple Computer's answer to Windows
NT. The addition of FreeBSD code....

But seriously, has anyone talked to this guy? This is one question to
which I would like an answer. If Apple Computer used FreeBSD source that
would be HUGE bragging rights.

If Apple reverted its gain back to FreeBSD in the form of "G3 port" of
FreeBSD, that would give FreeBSD another platform to run on.

Good Gawd. I can't think of anything bad to say about this.

Moreover, this one issue is of significant import to the entire free
software cause. How big do I think this is? I think there isn't enough
disc space in the world to say its BIIIIIIII................IIIIG.

I feel that this could be the single most significant opportunity for
FreeBSD to gain the "attention" that so much recent discussion indicates
that the community is clammoring for. I want ORA to ':%s/Linux/FreeBSD/'
every single line of text in their sources.

If Apple dumps us for another BSD or ::gasp:: Linux then we can sit down
and go back to talking about how nice it would be to have O'Reilly
publish a FreeBSD book. Ho hum.

The issue of resources always comes up. It seems the expenditure of GOOD
WILL is the initial expense. We can do that right?

If I don't hear that FreeBSD is considering this in the next couple of
days, I think I will CC Jordan directly. I would hate for him (and all
of us) to have missed this opportunity. (Poor Jordan. He is still the de
facto president. :))

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html