Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2013 15:42:17 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: do I have to compile a new kernel? or just add options somehow?

On Dec 5, 2013, at 3:35 PM, "firmdog@gmail.com" <firmdog@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> I am having difficulty understanding what is compiled into the GENERIC
> kernel.
>=20
> I need to enable "device crypto" with IPSEC and IPSEC_NAT_T options.
>=20
> Can I just configure the GENERIC kernel in a config file? Or do I have =
> compile a totally new kernel?

While it's far from being a good practice, you can simply add your:
device crypto
options IPSEC
options IPSEC_NAT_T

to /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC (assuming you're running a 64bit release that =
is).

Then: cd /usr/src && make kernel-toolchain && make buildkernel

Once the kernel is built, you only need to "make installkernel" and =
reboot.

It is good practice, before rebooting, to run "mergemaster -p" , even if =
you've only done a minor upgrade, let good habits sink in ;)

Regarding what is compiled in the GENERIC kernel, you can find the =
included options and devices at:
/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC
or
/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC

You may also run config -x /boot/kernel/kernel , if your kernel was =
built with INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE , which GENERIC does.