Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:59 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        leeoliveshackelford@surewest.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: click-click in floppy disk drive

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 14:26:52 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> HAL is polling the drive to detect media changes.  There are
> configuration files to that can be modified to tell HAL to ignore the
> device.  Others can probably offer more advice on that.

The information is provided here:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html

> I've been
> HAL-free for the last couple of years with xfce4.

I know how that feels. :-)

> Likewise, there is another program that scans mounted media in order to
> refresh the desktop and file utilities when files have been added or
> removed.  Unfortunately, I can't recall what that program is called at
> the moment, but it can be told to ignore certain files and directories.

If I remember correctly, has that been... FAM? The file alteration
monitor? Something with gamin and libfam? I know I had trouble with
that stuff on a LXDE installation once...

> After that, removable media can be easily unmounted.

I just wonder how Gnome and KDE got the automounting stuff working
decades ago, I think it even worked in FreeBSD 4 where no HAL and
DBUS had been present...

> If you want a desktop without all the work of installing it, PC-BSD
> offers a choice of four, including xfce4.

I didn't know it comes in different GUI favours, thanks for the
pointer! I always thought they were very KDE-centric...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany