Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:43:19 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mixer problems RELENG_5

> Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:17:17 +0700
> From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 01:50:08PM +0100, Matt wrote:
> > I have no idea how long it's been like this for as I've only just
> > noticed but it appears the mixer settings no longer have any effect at
> > all on my soundcard volume. It's permanently at full volume no matter
> > what I set the mixer values to.
>
> I second this.  mixer(8) apparently does not work any longer.

While my laptop (beta7) works normally, two other 5.3beta systems have
volume settings which no longer work, but ogain does. ogain (output
gain) seems to have replaced volume. Volume does nothing, but the mixer
works on all three systems by using ogain.

One system with the change has an AD1885 and an ICH2 and the other uses
PCI snd_es137x. The working system has an AD1881A with an ICH3. I won't
claim to know why the AD devices behave so differently. The one where
Volume still works does not even have an ogain.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)