Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:12:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gateway Solo with ATAPI CD-ROM: How to install?

> Am now attempting to get FreeBSD onto a Gateway Solo laptop with an ATAPI
> CD-ROM. I'm working with a 2.2 snapshot disk, and am not getting very
> far! There's a mention of an ATAPI install disk in the pamphlet in the
> front, but no such image on the disk! When I installed by copying from
> the CD-ROM to a DOS partition, I still couldn't get the CD-ROM to
> work.

I know nothing about this.

> Nor could I get the 3Com 3C562 Ethernet PCMCIA/Modem card, or even a
> standard modem card, to work so that I could bring in CD-ROM code from the
> Net. What's the best way to get up and running? This system will need
> CD-ROM and PCMCIA support at the very least.

The 3C562 won't be supported in FreeBSD anytime in the near future
(unless the Nomad's know something I don't know).  The current PC-CARD
code doesn't support multiple interrupts/card, and I don't believe it
supports sharing interrupts at all.

Also note that the documentation and such for the PCCARD support is
*very* weak right now, and probably won't get better in the next few
weeks as the rivers are starting to come down and fly-fishing is
sounding more fun than PC-CARD hacking.

But, the code in -current should support your modem if you can get past
the non-documentation issue.  Read the man pages on pccardc/pccardd, and
look at /etc/pccard.conf.sample and you *should* be able to get
jump-started.

Sorry about that, but keeping my sanity intrudes on getting this stuff
working! :) :)

Nate