Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:01:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Cc:        kevstanton@hotmail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your OS, questions

On Mon, 16 February 1998 at  8:15:57 -0600, Paul T. Root wrote:
> In a previous message, Greg Lehey said:
>> On Fri, 13 February 1998 at 19:03:48 -0800, Kevin Stanton wrote:
>>> To whom it may concern:
>>>
>>>           Hello.  I'm interested in learning UNIX, and someone told me
>>> that your version of UNIX was free and a great OS to learn on.  What I
>>> was wondering is, I have a PII-300MHz, with 128 megs of ECC SDRAM.  I
>>> have an 8.4 gigabyte EIDE UltraATA harddrive, and it's partitioned into
>>> a C: D: E: & F: drives.  The E: drive is completely empty, and I was
>>> wondering if I could run FreeBSD on that E: drive, and keep my C:, D: &
>>> F: intact for Windows 95 B use.
>>
>> Almost.  The trouble is that most PCs can only boot from the first two
>> disks (this is a BIOS limitation, not a FreeBSD limitation).  This
>> would translate to the Microsoft partition C: or D:.
>>
>> I'd suggest that you move the contents of your Microsoft partion D: to
>> E:, and install FreeBSD on D:.  Hopefully they're close enough to the
>> same size not to be a problem.
>>
>> Greg
>
> I think he means that he has 2 BIOS partitions (primary and extended) and has
> the extended partition split into 3 drives (D:, E: and F:).

Thanks, yes.  Somebody else also pointed this out to me.  It seems
that Microsoft won't recognize more than one primary partition.

> And the answer is no, you can't put FreeBSD on your E: drive. FreeBSD must
> be in its own BIOS partition. What you'd need to do is backup D: and F:,
> and repartion so that you have:
>
> 	1	DOS (C:)
> 	2	FreeBSD
> 	3	Extended DOS (D: and F: - will become D: and E:)
> 	4	Unused

Yes, that sounds reasonable.  If I understand the interaction between
the BIOS and Microsoft correctly, it's important to put the FreeBSD
partition first or second, since that's the sequence in which the BIOS
will recognize the disks: It will see the Microsoft C: drive as C:,
the FreeBSD partition as D:, and nothing at all.  Microsoft will look
at the disks again after booting, and will ignore the FreeBSD
partition (wrong partition type) and find the extended partition.

Greg