Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:43:01 +0200
From:      Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What the hell is going on with mplayer?

Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting Heino Tiedemann <rotkaps_spam_trap@gmx.de> (from Thu, 13 Jul
> 2006 15:23:07 +0200):
>
>> I just wanted to so a simple »portupgrade mplayer-gtk«, and see what
>> habens:
>>

>> ** Detected a package name change: mplayer-gtk (multimedia/mplayer)
>> -> 'mplayer-gtk2-esound' (multimedia/mplayer)
>>                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                     What a surprise, name change. Not mentioned in UPDATING
>
> Does it needs to be mentioned? portupgrade is able to handle it
> without *special* instructions in UPDATING.

Well, okay. this is not necessary.

But all the new kobs (specially the new defaults!) should be
mentioned.

>> ===>  Cleaning for linux-realplayer-10.0.7.785.20060201
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT?!
>
> This was already answered...
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for nvidia-driver-1.0.8762
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT?!
>
> Don't know.
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for x264-0.0.20060621
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ INSTABLE STUFF!?
>
> Do you ask because it has a zero version number, or because you know
> about instabilities?
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for linux_base-fc-4_6
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>>                    I am using FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE no Linux.
>
> A requirement for the linux-realplayer.
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for rpm2cpio-1.2_2
>>                    ^^^^^^^^
>>                     Why RPM?
>
> Needed by the linux stuff, we fetch binary RPMs and install the files in them.
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for linux-gtk2-2.6.10
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^
>>                    Whats Wring with FreeBSD gtk2?
>
> Nothing, except that linux programs like realplayer can't use it.
>
>> ===>  Cleaning for linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5
>>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>                    I Habe xorg-libs installed!
>
> But you need the linux ones to be able to use linux programs which
> want to use X11.

All the stuff is configurable with "make config". But how should
someone know, that this is specially this time necessary. I 've
mplayer installed, a long time ago. All portupgrades were trouble-free,
since now.

It COULD be trouble-free, if any information about the new knobs will
be transfered to the users (e.g. in UPDATING).

A Tip that it is better to run "make config", would be enough.

Heino