Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 11:12:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jos Vissers <Jos.Vissers@telebyte.nl>
To:        michael@memra.com (Michael Dillon)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

Michael Dillon wrote:
> How about having the traditional 8 char limit on usernames but modify
> adduser to automatically prompt for an email alias when adding new users.
> Have the email alias automatically added to a userdb and have sendmail
> already configured to do lookups in this userdb.

We already have sendmail looking in a userdb for mail aliases and shadow
domains but some users just can't be made to understand that their
username is not the same as their email address.
Besides, we are migrating from Linux to FreeBSD and because Linux does
allow long usernames we already have exisiting "long users".

But increasing UT_NAMESIZE followed by a make world does appear to
have worked. Now all I have to do is patch up who and w and the likes
to make the output a bit more convenient.

Jos

--
   Jos Vissers, System administrator Telebyte