Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2013 00:08:46 +0200
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to ask a DNS resolver listening on a different port than the tcp/udp 53

On 28. sep. 2013, at 00:03, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk> wrote:

> If I understand the way it works correctly, the resolver pulls a list of t=
he NS and hard-sets the port number for each to 53 (via a manifest constant)=
 . See libc/resolv/res_init.c. All you need to do(!) is change this to a val=
ue of your choice and recompile libc

Sorry, but this is startin to look a lot like a complicated solution to a pr=
oblem that isn't really there...

Why not just point from resolv.conf to localhost, run a caching and/or recur=
sive dns-server there, and point it whereever?

As far as I can tell, that'd solve everything, add caching, and let it all b=
e controlled from the config of the DNS-server?

Terje