Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 05:22:43 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, matt@server.wulaw.wustl.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2940UW install for 2.1.5R

> > I am trying to install 2.1.5 on a new Compaq ProLiant 5000 with an onboard
> > SCSI controller.  The controller was not listed as compatible with FreeBSD
> > so I got an Adaptec 2940UW in its place and completely disabled the
> > onboard controller.  The 2940UW BIOS loads fine and I can access the
> > attached devices under DOS, but when the install floppy's kernel loads and
> > the PCI bus is probed, no SCSI hosts are found.  Therefore when I get to
> > the install menu, I'm told I don't have any disk dirves.  Suggestions?
>
> Try disabling the other SCSI controllers in -c if you can.

Hmm, isn't there a problem with Compaq systems in that they don't
totally obey the PCI bus specification?  You might want to search
the mailing list archives for Compaq and PCI (questions and scsi).
You might also want to post this question to the freebsd-scsi
mailing list so that Stefan and Justin see it (the resident PCI
and SCSI gurus).

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org