Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:27:45 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-stable@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.4 RC1 locks up solid on first reboot

On Thursday 23 October 2008 01:32:27 Jo Rhett wrote:
> I haven't had time to investigate, but after installing 6.4RC1 on a
> machine I've been using with 6.3 for a few months, it installs
> painlessly but on the first and subsequent reboots you see
>
> BTX Loader 1.00 blah blah blah
> \
>
> At this point you have a hard refreeze -- no keyboard control, however
> I can reboot it from the Phantom card.
>
> System: Rackable C2004, dual Intel 2.66 processors, 4gb RAM, disk
> drive on built in SCSI port
>
> Absolutely nothing special, boots and runs 6.2 and 6.3 without a flaw.
>
> I'll have more time to investigate on Friday.  Anything specific that
> would be more or less useful to debug in particular?

I did not investigate on this issue too much, but there is an workaround -
copy older /boot/loader over newer one. In my case, I am rebuilding whole
world often, and now /boot/loader seems to not build correctly for me. Older
one is ~ 250 kB, rebuilt will be ~ 185 kB, and freezes.

In your case, you would write old /boot/loader from 6.3 over new installed
with 6.4RC1 and it will boot normally again.

I know it is only workaround, but it's quick and easy, and I have not too much
time to investigate any further (not to mention I have no idea what to look
for and where).

Regards,
Milan