Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:40:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vic Metcalfe <vam@recruiter.on.ca>
To:        David Langford <langfod@dihelix.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "McAfee discovers a Linux virus" Possible for *BSD?

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, David Langford wrote:

> Just saw this on a local wire.  Is this an ELF thing or could it
> be more generic?

I assume you are refering to the "bliss" virus.  Alan Cox, who is a major
Linux developer analysed the program and posted to the linux kernel
development mailing list on this subject.  The short of it is that all
unix type operating systems can be attacked this way, but it will only
spread if you have write permissions on your executable binaries, which
generally means you run as root.  Most experienced unix users do not run
suspect binaries as root, and so are not vulnerable.  I've included both
Alan's posting, and a posting I presume is from the author.  The author
posted a copy of the virus too, but I didn't bother looking at it so I
don't know if it was in source or binary form.

Here is the text of Alan's message: