Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:03:18 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        josh eliason <josheliason@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP system test ?

josh eliason wrote:

> hi,
> i recently installed FreeBSD on my dual-pentium III with a customized kernel
> for SMP, but i cannot figure out how to test the system to see if both
> processors are running. is there a systems monitor program available that
> will check for multi-processors and read out the current CPU load.
> thanks in advance.
>
> also, do i need to be on the mailing list to receive replys?
>
> josh
>
> Electronic Visualization Laboratory
> University of Illinois at Chicago

To state the obvious; no you don't need to be on the list to receive a
reply from someone who is. You do have to be on the list should you
desire to read messages sent to questions@freebsd.org.
	There are numerous ways of testing the system; are you just looking to
assure yourself that the system is using both CPU's or are you looking
to test the performance of the overall system?
	We have several Dual PIII systems here now, running FreebDS 4.0-STABLE.
If you do a 'dmesg | grep cpu', you should get something to the effect
of this:

master# dmesg | grep cpu
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id:  1, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id:  0, version: 0x00040011, at 0xfee00000
master#

That will at least assure you that the system is seeing both CPU's. As
for testing them, I'd suggest you download/install the Seti@Home client.
It's a really good example application that can beat on two seperate
cpu's quite well. We run Seti@home for three weeks before running the
server in a production environment. If it will stand up to that much
sustained CPU usage, I figure it'll work fine for us. This may not be
the best benchmark out there, but you can compare your average
completion times to that of many other different platforms for a good
idea of where you stand. (/usr/ports/astro/setiathome I beleive;
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu)

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com