Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 2020 21:01:18 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: question on porting

On 6/9/20, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 at 15:09, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> On the specific synth crash, If I re-run it, does synth have code that
>> reorders failed ports such that it has a better chance of not having
>> such swap-space faults/failures happen?
>
> No, it doesn't.
>
> However, if you're experiencing crashes it may be better for you to
> lower your "Number_of_builders" and/or "Max_jobs_per_builder" in your
> /usr/local/etc/synth/synth.ini.

Thanks, Jon. I'll look at that after this finishes and after I fix the
known OOPS I caused myself.

What happened is that it was building both llvm80 and gcc9 at the same
time. I can see that now it's building llvm90 and it's been at it for
over 2 hours. Obviously this is going to become a problem again
although the next time I build a disk I can use more of it for swap.
It's not processor speed that is the problem now, although if I alter
those parameters what is now 11 hours will become 20. Such is life
with "old" computers... :D
--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system *