Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:31:37 +0100
From:      Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "private" DNS by-passing my ISPs? (Was: Re: /etc/hosts...)

On Mon Dec 17, 2001 at 01:05:01PM +0000, Jan Grant wrote:

> That depends. Good, innit? In this case, it depends on whether your ISP
> is filtering/intercepting DNS traffic. If they've got problems keeping
> their own DNS running, then that may be unlikely.

"That depends" is a phrase which fills my heart with sunshine.. ;-)

> You just need to set up a caching nameserver.

OK. I got an off-list reply suggesting I'd add some often visited/used
servers to /etc/hosts, and I think I'll do that while looking into
setting up a cahing nameserver.

Any particular pitfalls I should avoid when setting one up? A link to a
good tutorial? Everything is welcome...

Many thanks for your fast reply!

HAND,

--