Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:30:15 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Ben Laurie <ben@algroup.co.uk>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdb won't run?

> > > ben@heap:~/work2/cryptix-projects/tls/src$ uname -a
> > > FreeBSD heap.ben.algroup.co.uk 2.2.8-RELEASE FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE #0:
> > > Mon Nov 30 06:34:08 GMT 1998
> > > jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
> > >
> > > ben@heap:~/work2/cryptix-projects/tls/src$ jdb
> > > cryptix.tls.ssl3.SSLConnection localhost 4433
> > > Class missing for error: java/lang/InternalError at
> > > java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java)
> > > Initializing jdb...
> > > Internal exception:  java.io.IOException:
> > > /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin/java_g: cannot execute
> > >  at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java)
> > >  at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java)
> > >  at sun.tools.debug.RemoteAgent.<init>(RemoteAgent.java:131)
> > >  at sun.tools.debug.RemoteDebugger.<init>(RemoteDebugger.java:62)
> > >  at sun.tools.ttydebug.TTY.<init>(TTY.java:1448)
> > >  at sun.tools.ttydebug.TTY.main(TTY.java:1621)
> > >
> > > I can run java_g directly, and it works. What gives? This is driving me
> > > nuts! Sorry, not subscribed to the list, so please copy me on replies.
> >
> > So you're saying that both java and java_g work, but jdb using the exact
> > same arguments does not?
>
> That is what I'm saying. Nor does jd (i.e. Jikes debugger), with exactly
> the same error.

I'm going to need some way of repeating this.  However, my initial
impression is that something in the environment is messed up.  Are you
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH or anything?  What happens when you use a clean
environment (no CLASSPATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc..), and instead
hard-code the classpath setting and use java/java_g?

Nate