Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 10:01:52 -0400
From:      Matt Simerson <freebsd@blockads.com>
To:        Nathan Hawkins <utsl@quic.net>
Cc:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware for FreeBSD

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 10:23  AM, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> For years, I've had the best luck with building my own systems, or
> having built to my specifications. Have comp delivered mostly
> assembled, but without hard drive installed, I can usually avoid having
> to buy Windows, too. Going this route, I pick all the parts, and can
> generally eliminate OS incompatibilities. I also don't buy lowest
> bidder parts, or try to save money on motherboards.
>
> That said, I've had pretty good luck with Dell hardware. At least the
> Optiflex line, don't know about PowerEdges. The Optiflex's I've bought
> all run both Linux and FreeBSD with no problems. (Local computer store
> has had used ones very cheap.)

Years ago (~4) I used and loved the PowerEdge servers. They were always
well engineered, solid servers that i could safely recommend to clients
as well as using myself.

> I've used the Compaq DL380 with Linux, and would recommend it as quite
> good and reliable hardware. Looks like the Compaq RAID controller is
> supported on FreeBSD, but I don't have access to one anymore, so can't
> try it.

Yup, Compaq DL380's work just fine with FreeBSD, I have several of them
in production. I also have some of the Compaq 1850R. They suck. They'll
work with FreeBSD but under heavy load, I've had all sorts of
reliability problems with them.

Matt

>        ---Nathan
>
> Bogdan TARU wrote:
>
>> 	Hi hackers,
>>
>> I am in a big dillema (and great hurry/pressure). I need to buy some
>> hardware for some firewalls for my company. And so the blues started.
>>
>> First, I went to Dell. Almost signed the papers for two PowerEdges
>> 2550,
>> (everything in them seemed to be compatible with FreeBSD) when I found
>> out
>> they are longer then the rack!!! And not only the 2550, but most of
>> their
>> cases.
>>
>> So I went to IBM. A little more expensive, but what the hack? It's IBM.
>> So, almost made a system, and when coming to checking the compatibility
>> list, IBM ServeRaid is not supported under FreeBSD. WTF???
>>
>> So my question is: if you'd have to buy good/reliable hardware now,
>> which
>> is the vendor you'd choose (considering the facts above)? I looked on
>> the
>> FreeBSD's site for some hardware vendors in Germany (where I live), but
>> none found. And I'd go for a brand name, anyways.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> bogdan
>>

>> ----------------------------
>> iCom Media AG
>> Kirchweg 36
>> Koln, 50858
>> Germany
>>
>> Phone: +49-(0)221-485-689-16
>> Fax  : +49-(0)221-485-689-20

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

   Matt Simerson           msimerson@interland.com
   Unix Systems Engineer                   Interland, Inc.

   If you keep an open mind people will throw a lot of garbage in.