Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:28:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE always hang

--- Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org> wrote:

> Unga wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm using FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE on Intel P4 3.0GHz,
> > 512MB Ram computer.
> >
> > Its very irritatingly hangs very frequently, more
> than
> > 10 times a day. Do others find FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE
> > always hangs? I simply cannot use it for any
> serious
> > use, not even to send a mail, other than browsing
> web.
> >
> > I find it mostly when I try to move the mouse it
> > hangs. Upward and downward cursor keys press and
> hold
> > also hangs, but not always. These may be just
> > coincidental. How do I find why it hangs? How is
> the
> > stability of the upcoming 7.0?
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Unga
> >

> I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I'm running
> several 6.2-RELEASE-p8
> boxes (servers and laptop workstations) for several
> months now without a
> single lock-up. I'd first look into hardware,
> testing memory, testing
> the power supply, and checking CPU/chipset
> temperatures as they have
> often contributed to problems similar to what you
> are describing. 6.2
> has been working extremely well for me with no
> stability issues that
> weren't related to hardware problems.

Thanks for all the replies.

It may be a hardware issue. This is a more than four
year old computer. Btw, I forgot to mention this is
not a server, its running KDE, trying to use as a
desktop.

Any one of the hangs do not develop any core dump or
/var/crash/kernel.0 or /var/crash/vmcore.0. Just the
cursor disappear and keyboard does not respond. Only
switch off and on can bring the machine up.

Are there any hardware analyzing software that I can
run on FreeBSD, so that I could narrow down the cause?

Unga