Date:      Thu, 06 May 1999 09:32:55 -0800
From:      Russ Pagenkopf <jnrp@uas.alaska.edu>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Arabian <Arabian@DAL.NET>, FreeBSD-Hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I Want to build good machine.

Mark Ovens wrote:
> Arabian wrote:
> > I would like to build P II 450 Machine, I'll use 2.2.8-STABLE, what's The
> > Best Motherboard, hard drive, and ethernet card, note this machine will
> > have very big load on the ethernet so, I want stable ethernet card which
> > can deal with heavy load as well. the machine bandwidth will be 10 Mbps,
> > and connected to 100 Mbps lan.
>
> Why not check out the spec of ftp.cdrom.com? That's got a high load on
> it's ethernet :-). The file is wcarchive.txt. I don't have the exact
> URL to hand. It's at www.cdrom.com somewhere.

From <ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/>; :

"This machine is a Xeon/500 with 4GB of memory & 1/2 terabyte of RAID 5.
The operating system is FreeBSD.

Server machine provided by Micron Electronics. Please visit
http://www.micronpc.com/web/walnutcreek.html."

The above box from Micron is probably a little bit overkill for most of us.

:-)

Russ Pagenkopf