Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:42:26 -0400
From:      Ash Gokhale <ash@aeria.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   netgraph modules won't unload after use

>  I'm developing a kernel module that will be doing inspection and
> needed access to raw network frames,
>

> But the module will never unload: ( but the UNLOAD  and QUIESE event
> handlers are invoked)
> > #make unload                                        :ro:~/tmp/
> > food.ko:3:14:28:31
> > /sbin/kldunload -vf food.ko
> > Unloading food.ko, id=7
> > kldunload: can't unload file: Device busy
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /root/tmp/food.ko.
> > Exit 1
> > #Mar 18 03:14:31  kernel: quiesced                  :ro:~/tmp/
> > food.ko:3:14:31:32
> > Mar 18 03:14:31  kernel: foodmod unloaded

  Thanks so much for looking at it Julian, I never could get my
netgraph module to unload, out of frustration I replaced the
interfaces if_input routine with my own. I don't share this interface
with the host's stack, so this measure seems appropriate.

  Now I have to grab about 10Gb of ram for a data structure.. I hope
that's just tuning.