Date:      Wed, 22 May 2019 15:41:19 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dovecot packages

Some years ago I setup a server with dovecot2 package.  At that time =
there were 2 dovecot packages: dovecot which had a version of 1.x and =
dovecot2 which had a version of 2.x.  That made sense since dovecot v2 =
is quite different from v1.

As time went on I was upgrading that server to FreeBSD 12-RELEASE and =
just did a pkg upgrade during the upgrade process.  Dovecot upgraded to =
a more recent v2.x.  However, it no longer worked.  There were numerous =
error messages logged.  I thought that was strange since I had another =
system with dovecot v2 running just fine.  Eventually I discovered that =
the two dovecot packages have changed.  The working system was a dovecot =
package which is now v2.y where y is significantly greater than dovecot2 =
v2.x.  It appears that the dovecot package is now the one that is =
maintained and dovecot2 package has remained stagnant. =20

Unless you notice this interesting anomaly, you can get easily burned =
like I did.  I would recommend that either the dovecot2 package be =
deleted, or at least kept current with the dovecot package.

-- Doug