Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 14:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>, FreeBSD Hackers List <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: what is devfs?

:On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:
:
:> DEVFS itself works fine however a subsystem it required to be a useful
:> abstraction was vandalised and stripped out by some people who "didn't get
:> it" and it has not yet been replaced by equivalent code.
:
:It seems more correct (to me) to state that there was a furious
:disagreement over whether or not to allow some memory of file permissions
:in devfs.  Since there was never any agreement, DEVFS has smoldered.  I
:think there's general agreement it would be a good thing to have, but that
:argument over how to keep user configurations must be handled.
:
:Saying it was dumped by people who "didn't get it" isn't quite correct,
:just people who didn't agree with your viewpoint on permissions.  It
:wasn't only your viewpoint, I know there were many other highly qualified
:folks who agreed with you, but there wasn't much spirit of compromise
:evinced.
:
:
:----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
:213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.

    Well, I tried using it months ago but it crashed the machine a lot :-)
    Those bugs are supposedly fixed now, right?  Can I go back to using it?

    It seems to me that we have to be able to change ownership/modes for
    DEVFS devices to deal with tty's and pty's properly.  Are people arguing
    over that or are people arguing over whether the changes should be
    persistent or not?  Personally I don't care if they aren't persistent,
    it's a simple matter to set things up in rc.local.

    I really want to be able to use DEVFS for my diskless startup code.  Right
    now I have to wave my hands and do some magic to make /dev work right
    for diskless BOOTP startups.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>