Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 2015 18:57:51 -0500
From:      Brandon J. Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
To:        Bret Busby <bret@busby.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about current stable version of freebsd regarding drivers and desktop environment

Bret Busby writes:

> Hello.
>
> I have an Acer V3-772G laptop computer that has an Intel Haswell
> i7-4702QM CPU and integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 graphics controller,
> and an nvidia GEForce GT750M graphics device, and the system has 32GB of
> RAM.
>
> From the freebsd web site, I understand that version 10.1 is the latest
> stable version of freebsd.
>
> Please advise as to whether this has drivers available for the above
> system.
>
> Also, on the freebsd web site, at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html ;
> in the freebsd handbook,
> Chapter 6 The X Window System 6.8 Desktop Environments ,
> is indicated in 6.8.1 GNOME, that GNOME 2 is available for the current
> stable version of freebsd; which I understand is freebsd v 10.1.
>
> Please confirm that GNOME 2 is available for the current stable version
> of freebsd.
>
> I am trying to get a reasonably reliable operating system running on the
> Acer V3-772G, with the GNOME 2 desktop environment.
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

The Haswell integrated GPU isn't supported yet (the driver's being
worked on in the -CURRENT branch), but the Nvidia GPU should work
fine.

GNOME 2 no longer exists. MATE is available for installation, if that's
what you mean.

   		      :: Brandon Wandersee ::
                  :: brandon.wandersee@gmail.com ::
'A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
fools.'
                            			- Douglas Adams