Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:12:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      user <jasper@terra.3rdplanet.com>
To:        Morini Stefano <ssteve@ns1.tizeta.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passwd linux and FreeBSD

Unfortunately, to migrate passwords from a Linux system to a FreeBSD
system (which I have actually done) requires installing DES encryption to
replace the MD5 that FreeBSD comes with by default.  Since I did it wrong
the first time myself, I don't know if you want to trust my advice on the
matter. :-)  The _right_ way to do it is to download des.aa from
ftp.cdrom.com, drop to single-user mode (shutdown command with no
arguments), and unpack it from the root directory.  Then reboot
immediately: that's where I screwed up, and it killed my init binary
somehow.  Before any of this, though, you must remove the passswords for
any accounts you want to get at before you start copying the old ones.
chpass <username> will let you empty the password field for users; start
with root.  Then after you've installed DES, you can change passwords
normally with the passwd command or you can run chpass to paste in the
old names from your Linux passwd file (make sure you save it!).  Someone
in #freebsd on iRC told me all this (except how to screw up of course)
and I wish I could credit him/her, but alas I have forgotten who.

 /'     `\            __   |  Free Kung Fu in every box!  #    PGP key
 \   |~~|  `|  |  /' /'    http://www.3rdplanet.com/~jasper/   FIGHT THE