Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:42:07 -0400
From:      Jaime Kikpole <jkikpole@cairodurham.org>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nathan@vidican.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware suggestions

My thanks to everyone for their replies.  I guess that I wasn't
specific enough about my needs, though.  I don't need a tiny chassis.
In fact, I need a proxy for around 750-900 computers, so an Atom
system or the like wouldn't work for me.  I just have no rack space
left.  Fortunately, I might have found a way around this.

So if you have any pre-built servers to recommend, I'd greatly
appreciate it.  For example, I'm currently reviewing the Dell
PowerEdge T310's specs.

Nate:

Thanks.  I read the handbook's entry on CARP last night.  It looks
easier than I had previously thought.  I've started setting up a
VMware environment of 2 FreeBSD systems and a unix desktop to try it
out as a way to build a fail-over proxy.

Looks like I'd have to stop using my current "in-line" design, though.
 Currently, I have a FreeBSD box between my network as a whole and the
Internet connection.  It acts as a router, a firewall, and a
transparent proxy.  CARP would require the system to not be "in-line,"
because a failed system would mean no router.  Did I understand that
correctly?

Thanks to all,
Jaime

--