Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:14:58 +0300
From:      Martes Wigglesworth <martes.wigglesworth@earthlink.net>
To:        NetAdmin <daemon@foxchat.net>
Cc:        ipfw-mailings <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW2 tables

--=-zbYli8D4uvNlmLtvvXdI

Dude.

I think that the multiple ports section is universal, because each
section of an ipfw command is programmed into the ipfw syntax.  Like a
case, in a shell script.  So, it would be theoretically redundant to
list, for example, how to use multiple ports on tables, when it is
already listed for general usage.  I am new, as well, however, it is
part of my job to deal with this stuff, so I sit here an play with
things.  I have not gotten to tables, because I have not seen the
benefit, as of yet, however, by playing around, I have noticed that many
of the features are just arguments that are being sent to a shell
command, and can be thought of as such.  Like about a month or so, ago,
when I was having trouble with brackets because I had forgotten that
they were simply used to seperate arguments within the string of
arguments.  A helpful person indicated that I should use the back-slash
in from of the brackets, becaue the shell was reading them independent
of the commands that I was trying to pass to ipfw.

This may have been overkill, or inaccurate, however, thinking of the
different features as complex arguments to a shell command has made
things easier when reading through the man page(s).

Please, someone correct me if I am completely off of the target with my
assumption.  It seems to work for me, and I felt that you could benefit
from that frame of thought for ipfw.

--
Respectfully,

M.G.W.

System:
Asus M6N
Intel Dothan 1.7
512MB RAM
40GB HD
10/100/1000 NIC
Wireless b/g (not working yet)
BSD-5.2.1
GCC-3.3.5/3.3.3(until I replace indigenous gcc)
IFORT-for linux(Intell Fortran)
gfortran
python-2.3
Perl-5.6.1/5.8.5