Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 1995 18:49:46 -0500
From:      Roy Wood <rrwood@io.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem installing bindist; everything else mysteriously okay...

Newsgroups: comp.os.386bsd.misc
Subject: Problem installing FreeBSD bindist

Okay, this is weird, and it's *not* in the FAQ (I hope).  I'm installing
FreeBSD 2.0 (release version, not the "current" version), and everything
goes along well except that the bindist does not install.  The manpages
go on fine, and the kerndist is okay, too, but the bindist just dies
partway through extraction.  The checksums are all okay, but extraction
still dies silently (even the debug screen shows nothing).

All the obvious problems are not a problem-- i.e. the disk has been sliced
properly to give a 50M DOS partition and a 154 FreeBSD partition; the
FreeBSD partition (er, make that slice-- same for the DOS one) has been
partitioned with partition "a" as 20M for root, partition "b" as 24M swap,
partitions "c" and "d" for the FreeBSD slice and whole disk (in whatever
order disklabel defaults, which ought to be correct), partition "e" is
10M for /var, partition "f" is 70M for /usr, and "h" is linked to the
DOS slice.  See-- I'm not a complete dweeb newbie moron.

Of course, the bindist is stored in the DOS slice in a directory called
"BINDIST", too.  The installation procedure seems to do the checksumming
okay, but as I keep saying, the extraction quits after only a minute or
two.  Go figure.

In desperation, I've dropped to the shell and am doing a "cat /mnt/bindist/
bindist.* | gunzip | tar -xvf -" with current directory as "/", and things
seem to be unpacking okay.  I'm just worried that this is not going to do
everything necessary, so I'd appreciate some suggestions....

Help!

-Roy