Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:40:09 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk, Albert School <aschool@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DocBook, SGML...Newbie Question

On Tue, Mar 10, 1998 at 10:13:44AM +0000, nik@iii.co.uk wrote:
> I'm going to try and put together more of a tutorial over the next few
> weeks. If you get the opportunity to make any notes as you're learning
> this stuff, please pass them on.

Notes:
	Finding DSSSL stylesheets for DocBook is quite a bit of work.
	They're at
		http://www.berkshire.net/~norm/docbook/dsssl/index.html

	The TeX generated by Jade should probably change.  More work
	should happen in the DSSSL end instead of the TeX end.

	jadetex is difficult to install, and might be a good candidate
	for a port.  Problem: I can't do a port, as I wasn't able to
	ever get it to work properly.

	It is not trivial to find a good conversion from DocBook to
	printed matter.  No publically available conversion system
	seems to handle screenshots.

	DocBook is difficult to get into.  It would probably be
	beneficial for FreeBSD to have a 'limited set' markup that can
	be used by beginners to actually get them to write
	documentation, instead of having them struggle with learning
	DocBook.  This format should be able to produce decent quality
	output, but not be as flexible or as good as DocBook.
	Conversion could be done when the author feel up to it (or
	some old hand feel like actually doing it).

These are off the top of my head; I'll try to find my actual notes,
too.

Eivind.