Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2008 00:24:27 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Str=F6m?= <johan@stromnet.se>
To:        Joe Koberg <joe@osoft.us>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP ProLiant DL360 G5 success stories?

On Mar 12, 2008, at 11:37 PM, Joe Koberg wrote:

> The iLO is a completely separate management processor with its own =20
> network port. It runs its own OS and has its own IP address. It runs =20=

> an SSL webserver for access.  The iLO is accessible over the network =20=

> any time the machine is plugged into power.  I am not sure about =20
> IPMI access to it.

Okay, kind of what I "expected" (havent read up very much on it yet).

> The "normal" iLO option will give you exact textual console screen =20
> output and keyboard control from the moment of power-on.  It will =20
> also let you toggle power and hit the reset button. I believe it =20
> uses a java applet in the browser.
>
> The "advanced" iLO option, which is license-key-unlocked, also =20
> provides graphical remote console, and virtual media. You can upload =20=

> a CD or floppy image and then boot the server from it.  I suspect =20
> the compatibility issue appears here - the virtual media probably =20
> emulates USB mass storage, and the OS must be able to boot from it.

I see... So for a box that is going to run fbsd in console mode, and =20
hopefully never need to boot from CD after install, it sounds like the =20=

normal mode will work splendid.

But.. =
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c0=
0553302.pdf=20
  seems to tell me that in basic mode I can only access BIOS (pre-OS) =20=

using the Remote Console feature, and that after POST I have to have =20
the advanced licensed option?

"iLO 2 displays this information through the remote console applet =20
while in the server pre-operating system
state, enabling a non-licensed iLO 2 to observe and interact with the =20=

server during POST activities. A non-
licensed iLO 2 cannot use remote console access after the server =20
completes POST and begins to load the
operating system. The iLO 2 Advanced License enables access to the =20
remote console at all times."

So.. Then what? I have to configure FreeBSD to use a serial console =20
and continue with using serial console instead? Later in the same doc:

=95 iLO 2 Standard (unlicensed:)
NOTE:  The features annotated with an asterisk (*) are not supported =20
on all systems.

o Virtual Power and Reset control
o Remote serial console through POST only
o Serial access*

Am i missing something here or will I only be able to access the =20
console during post, unless i configure the box to use a serial =20
console? Hope you can shed some light here :)

> It has full reporting of hardware state and management log details, =20=

> and the "home page" is a big summary with any faults outlined in red.

Yes, that was what I expected. But can i retreive the data some other =20=

way? IPMI, SNMP or something? Would like to gather the stats to a =20
central management site. Further investigation in the manual seems to =20=

indicate that no SNMP access is available, but there is some XML =20
"RIBCL" interface I can use (yes this is in standard mode too :))

Thank you!

--
Johan=