Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 11:41:52 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Adam Szilveszter <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
Cc:        Cheryl Offholter <COffholter@MDM.net>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports Software Collection

On Wednesday, 10 November 1999 at 17:37:08 +0100, Adam Szilveszter wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, 10 November 1999 at  9:39:14 -0600, Cheryl Offholter wrote:
>>> Is it correct to assume that the FREEBSD PORTS SOFTWARE COLLECTION is also
>>> completely compliant in addition to the operating system?   Please advise.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand the question.  What do you mean by
>> "compliant"?
>
> I think the post referred to Y2K compliance... however I do not think we
> can answer this one. The ports collection is merely a convenient way to
> add third-party software to your installation. Therefore the guys doing
> the porting focus on making these to compile, install and work in a nice
> way but certainly they are in no way authors of these pieces of software.
> It is only the original author who can give info on this.

Correct.  Cheryl replied privately referring to a statement by David
Greenman about FreeBSD.  I explained that the ports aren't under our
control, and that we can't make much of a statement about them (though
I did venture an opinion that we won't see much trouble with them).

I'm copying -ports on this, since they're interested parties.

Greg