Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2018 11:44:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Antonio Olivares" <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        "Polytropon" <freebsd@edvax.de>, "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to detect single user mode in FreeBSD ?
References:  <e9731c0f-1269-8919-836a-29b9a2f6b0dc@yandex.com> <c0718db9-8b46-2301-a770-cd334cbf0f07@ShaneWare.Biz> <f66e1b62-a6d5-c969-78ca-3ae9eb82efc5@yandex.com> <20180613141217.a3ab7160a55398bf5ed56ef2@sohara.org> <d4130902-917c-39d4-979a-87c3769bb620@kicp.uchicago.edu> <CALM2mEk9oVaswyAPLoe1G%2BgO1Ftyw0NOt_0eksn68m5mE0tHtQ@mail.gmail.com> <5B21A915.3000209@gmail.com> <20180614083840.ddee5859bbc3640e03ccbc2d@sohara.org> <20180614184329.9646c28a.freebsd@edvax.de> <20180615200051.8e8d73819e027b51e9d0af0e@sohara.org> <20180615232141.d25e83e0.freebsd@edvax.de> <CAJ5UdcNEYBsoF8O4ENBiha3qMrC4ZCN8x48WUeJimmWPESRgog@mail.gmail.com>

On Sat, June 16, 2018 7:41 am, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Friday, June 15, 2018, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 20:00:51 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

>>> <shudder> I'll probably decamp to DragonFly or NetBSD then.
>>
>> Luckily, systemd is highly incompatible to FreeBSD's principle
>> designs, and it maintains a tight coupling to many Linux kernel
>> facilities. We hopefully don't have to worry. :-)
>>

>> --
>> Polytropon
>> Magdeburg, Germany
>> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
>> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
>>

> Resistance is futile.  A BSD* variant known as systembsd is being worked
> on
> as we argue about this.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2fsh5m/systembsd_a_systemd_compatibility_layer_for_bsd/
>
> Then there would be no escape! And many system administrators would have
> create a FreeBSDuan like the Debian ones who created Devuan to not have
> systemd on their FreeBSD.

When Linux went systemd (and yes, it is Linux, not any particular
distribution, as: once in kernel, the darn code IS in kernel, and it will
be tremendous effort to strip the crap out of kernel all the time, every
release to maintain systemd-free distro like devuan... My thought then
was: well, it pretty much looks like the deed of Linux rivals. If you can
not defeat your enemy, get inside, and make them become piece of crap from
inside. In every thing happening one can look at the reasons from the
viewpoint: who benefits from it. Linux was "stealing" a lot of potential
customers from proprietary system vendor monster[s]. We will not name the
name even though one obvious is Microsoft. And after all it was Microsoft
who "donated" to RedHat a big chunk on money. And do not look for time
correlation, which may not appear to exist, better look at: who stuffed
systemd down the throats of Linux folks. Yes, it was RedHat employee,
right? And it was RedHat who was paid by MS to push Linux towards quite MS
Windows looking system administration wise. And the same sickening system
administration wise. Note that the REASON I alleged is there is my own
opinion, and as everyone has the same and even better brain than mine, go
ahead and come up with the most reasonable for you explanation.

That thing done made a big wave of refugees from Linux (I fled servers
from Linux to FreeBSD even earlier due to a bit different reason: I just
got sick of the need to reboot Linux servers every 45 days on average due
to either kernel or glibc security updates).

Now this leaves everybody with: most active and opinionated about how not
to and how do to administer the system sysadmins fleeing away from Linux.
And more inert (sorry, folks, I may be called that myself too) and "home
users" stay and adjust to new brew MS Windows like and progressing that
way Linux system. It will then allow more or less unified "Linux
Administration certification" similar to MS one, and same based on
learning by heart where to click. And if click does not work, it is up to
the support call to the vendor to resolve the issue. Which is the hiring
dream for IT illiterate IT managers one can come across almost everywhere
these days. Who are hired by people who don't and shouldn't have any IT
knowledge on the basis of larger Certificate collection.

Which leaves big boys with almost only one rival (with multiple faces):
*BSD. This is why I am scared as hell to see MS donate to any of *BSDs.
FreeBSD and OpenBSD got donations already, if my memory still serves me.
My worst nightmare is to think what the donor will ultimately get as
return for their investment. Yes, in the commercial world there is no such
thing as gift or donation. Any money or favor is an investment with the
goal of getting return on investment which is larger (often much larger)
than investment itself.

This all is dark picture, alas, but such is the reality. Everything
flowerful in the end turns out to be our wishful thinking.

Valeri

PS I was praising RedHat for their excellent compliance to GPL, and
variety of other great things, like buying out the creator of cygwin
Cygnus Solutions, and keeping cywgin open source freely available, and
being developed, not buried. Now though one big bad thing changes my
opinion.