Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 2010 19:40:30 -0500
From:      Skip Ford <skip@menantico.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, dougb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r201534 - in head/sys: amd64/conf arm/conf i386/conf ia64/conf mips/conf pc98/conf powerpc/conf sparc64/conf sun4v/conf

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> I'm sorry that I didn't notice this sooner and comment upon it.  It is
> a really bad idea for a lot of reasons..
>
> The DEFAULTS file is not for optional items.  It is only for items
> that are required for all (or almost all) users of the system to build
> a working kernel.  Including the config file isn't anywhere near
> required.  In addition, changing it on a stable branch seems like a
> big default change.  Finally, we're planning on deprecating this file
> entirely in the future, so no further changes should be made to it
> without discussion.
>
> I've reverted this after chatting on IRC with bz@ and ed@.
>
> I'm posting this to arch@ so that the followup discussion can take
> place.  *IF* there is wide-spread consensus to add it back, I'll take
> care of that leg work (as well as anything I've overlooked in the
> back out).  But I don't think there's wide-spread support for this in
> DEFAULTS...

In Doug's defense, I saw the discussion about it, and most who replied
convinced him to do what he did.  I don't think anyone, including me,
spoke up to say what you say above, most likely because somebody
would've just called the discussion a bikeshed, then grabbed their
toys and gone home.  IMO, there's just not much discussion or code
review these days due to testy messages and development happening in
non-public repositories, and that's what bit Doug.  His original plan
was fine.

Thanks for taking your time to clean it up.  And it's good to hear it's
deprecated since this isn't the first time a widely-used or just very
useful kernel option had to be backed out of the DEFAULTS file.

--
Skip