Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:16:35 -0800
From:      "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith@noanet.net>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Freebsd - restarting itself - followup

Hello Steve:

On Monday, March 24, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Steve Warwick wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to all of you that replied so promptly to my question. However I
> think I failed to outline the situation clearly enough so with the
> so far in mind...
>
> Question was: Is it possible for FreeBSD to shut itself down and
> restart for
> no reason?
>
> - The "new server in question has been running at another facility
> without
> any problems for about 4 months so I am assuming it is "burned in" and
> stable.
>
> - The logs (var/log/messages, /var/log/httpd-error.log) do not show any
> obvious issues such as kernel panics, just a hard restart (/ not
> dismounted
> correctly)
>
> - As far as I can tell the box has not been exploited -- if someone we
> restarting the machine via software then / would dismount correctly.
>

> Further thoughts, suggestions?

I would seriously suspect my provider at this point.  Are they
supplying you with AC power straight from the wall, or do you have a
UPS of some sort in line between the power source and your server?  If
you're running straight, you may want to consider getting a UPS that
has either SNMP or syslog facility so you can trap out any alarms
if/when the AC from the wall fails.

Mike