Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:47:10 +0000
From:      Michael Cugley <michael.cugley@virgin.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Boot Manager woes.  3.1-R (2.2.5 boot manager)

I originally installed 2.2.5-R from CDROMs I had available, with Wind 95 on
Primary Master and Primary Slave, FreeBSD on Secondary Master.  The boot
manager never worked; probably 'cos my Win95 disks were FAT32.

I then started from scratch and d/l'd 3.1-R, and installed (eventually).  I
foolishly didn't install a boot manager on my Primary Master, thinking the
old one (which I never uninstalled) would now work.  Boy was I wrong!  It
still just gives me the F1? prompt.

So; I want to one of two things:

	* install a proper boot manager on the relevant disks without having to
wipe any data (/stand/sysinstall seems to want to do that before it
installs any boot managers);

	* or, create a dedicated boot disk that will boot up wd(2,a)kernel for me.
 I've got a broken fixdisk that allows me to type in  wd(2,a)kernel each
time, which is *such* a pain :)  Want one that does it for me :)

Ideas?  Suggestions?  Money?  (Well, I can hope... )

--
			Mike Cugley, lunatic at large

http://freespace.virgin.net/michael.cugley/
http://freespace.virgin.net/michael.cugley/Art/