Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:04:32 -0400
From:      "Avery Fay" <afay@ultranet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   silo overflows and line speed

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C00080.CAC69640

Hello,

I just installed 4.1 and I have a few questions. When setting up my =
external US robotics 56k modem using the kernel/pppd implementation of =
ppp, I initially got silo overflow errors constantly. Even during =
authentication or pings I would get them and the web was unusable. I had =
the line speed for /dev/cuaa1 set to 115200 as I do on all the other =
os's i run (windows 98, 2000, 2 distros of linux, beOS). After lowering =
the line speed to 57600 everything works fine. My question is, shouldn't =
my serial ports which are 65550A's (I think that's right) be able to =
handle a line speed of 115200 without problems? Secondly, why am I only =
getting these problems in FreeBSD? I understand that the other OS's =
might not report these problems but whereas my modem in the other OS's =
is very usable in FreeBSD it slows to a crawl at the higher line speed. =
Oh, and by the way, I read through a bunch of archived emails and news =
postings to try to find the problem. I tried enabling dma on the hard =
drives and disabling usb stuff in bios. Both of which did not help. =
There were problems with old computers at higher line speeds under heavy =
load, but my computer is a celeron 333 and when i use top to look at =
load it is always near 0. Any suggestions? I would really like to get =
the higher line speed working because most documentation on setting up =
modems suggests it.

Avery Fay

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C00080.CAC69640

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I just installed 4.1 and I have a few questions. =
When=20
setting up my external US robotics 56k modem using the kernel/pppd=20
implementation of ppp, I initially got silo overflow errors constantly. =
Even=20
during authentication or pings I would get them and the web was =
unusable. I had=20
the line speed for /dev/cuaa1 set to 115200 as I do on all the other =
os's i run=20
(windows 98, 2000, 2&nbsp;distros of linux, beOS). After lowering the =
line speed=20
to 57600 everything works fine. My question is, shouldn't my serial =
ports which=20
are 65550A's (I think that's right) be able to handle a line speed of =
115200=20
without problems? Secondly, why am I only getting these problems in =
FreeBSD? I=20
understand that the other OS's might not report these problems but =
whereas my=20
modem in the other OS's is very usable in FreeBSD it slows to a crawl at =
the=20
higher line speed. Oh, and by the way, I read through a bunch of =
archived emails=20
and news postings to try to find the problem. I tried enabling dma on =
the hard=20
drives and disabling usb stuff in bios. Both of which did not help. =
There were=20
problems with old computers at higher line speeds under heavy load, but =
my=20
computer is a celeron 333 and when i use top to look at load it is =
always near=20
0. Any suggestions? I would really like to get the higher line speed =
working=20
because most documentation on setting up modems suggests =
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Avery Fay</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01C00080.CAC69640--