Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 12:16:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2 Splashkit

According to Terry Lambert:
> > >      Hmmm, not sure I understand where you're coming from.  If you're
> > > sitting at the text login prompt, why would you want the splash page to
> > > stay up?
> >
> > If it's a server in a droid-heavy environment, eg., or otherwise needs to
> > look "pretty".
>
> Heh.
>
> What about making the splash page come back up as the "screen saver"
> kicks in?  That way, if it's idle, it goes back to the splash and
> looks nice (again) for the droids after a logout.  8-).

Really... IMHO that would kinda suck (both of the above).
Although, with a small modification, it would be really nice.

How about this:

The splash screen should use an image ("/splash.pic" ?) that used the exact
logo.sys format. That would make it easy to use finished slashes out there,
without having to use some converter. It should be easy to read and put in
memory in any format you like it, no? That would make things like
"ln -s /dos/logo.sys /splash.pic" work too.

Color cycling should happen at an even pace, if possible. I'm not sure if
there's a way to get a timestamp while booting, but if so, the syscons driver
could simply check, every time it gets called, if say 1/4 of a second or more
have passed since last cycling, and if so, cycle the colors one step.
All these things would only have to be done in "splash screen on" mode,
ofcourse.

A new screen saver module should exist, which would display a picture in the
same format, and colorcycle that one in about the same pace. You could set
the filename for the picture with a sysctl, or something? Maybe just use a
hardcoded name like "/screensaver.pic". Also, I'd like an (sysctl again?)
option to make it go into powersave after X minutes (-1 == off ?).
That's something I miss with the current screensavers. I can't set it to
display a nice pic (or even just the starts saver, or something) after say 5
minutes, and after 20 minutes go into powersave mode.

Anyway... Enough ramblings from me. Any comments?

  /Mikael