Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:02:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   News binaries run as root, but not as news

PLEASE copy me on replies; I don't subscribe to -questions.

My setup:  Fresh cvsup to RELENG_2_2 (the up-and-coming 2.2-RELEASE)
of /usr/src and /usr/ports; fresh build and install of
/usr/ports/news/cnews; edited files in /usr/local/news/lib but no
other explicit configuration.

I was able to add a local group and do a postnews/readnews and see
the article show up.  BUT it only works if I run newsrun as root.
If I run any of the commands as news (I tried three or so), they
create a lock file and then hang.  They don't respond to normal
kill (I had to kill -9).

I checked /usr/local/news; the entire hierarchy is owned by either
bin or news.  Again, I didn't do anything explicit other than make
install in /usr/ports/news/cnews, and editing the config files.

The work/README has lines that it says should go in news's crontab,
but I had to put them in root's to make it work.  Is this normal?
Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks!

--
Brent J. Nordquist