Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 14:16:23 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - the Wraith - Asami)
Cc:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var/db/pkg/.mkversion

> The name of the directory where it resides doesn't matter.  It's not a

As long as that directory is not /var/db/pkg, where I put my package
information, I agree that it doesn't matter either. :-)

> The same situation arises whether the version info is in /var/db/pkg
> or /some/other/place.  It has been pointed out many times in the past
> that we need something to ensure bsd.port.mk can synchronize itself
> with the rest of the system (simply because there are too many people
> who cvsup one without the other).

I'm not sure that this is a solution so much as a band-aid, however.

> The question is, can I ask you to make sysinstall write some kind of
> version info that can be used by bsd.port.mk to identify the age of
> the system?

I could record the version number of the system as it was when
sysinstall installed it (3.1-RELEASE, X.X-YYYYMMDD-CURRENT, etc) but
that's about it.

> The problem is real, we've been bitten too many times in the past
> (haven't you seen all the "where's fetch -A?" and other more subtle
> breakages that are caused by ports and system mismatch), and I can

Well, the fetch -A thing was another imprudent leap off the wire
without a net, I'm not sure I'd use it to aid my arguments if I were
you. :-)

- Jordan