Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 20:42:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Christopher Stein <stein@eecs.harvard.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd@gtonet.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Christopher Stein wrote:

> > > Dennis has a good point.
> >
> > Dennis has no point unless he provides some numbers to quantify his
> > claim.
>
> His point was not a claim about performance, rather he was bringing into
> question whether performance was improving with successive releases.

Sounded very much to me like he was just vaguely griping about how slow
and unstable newer versions of FreeBSD are compared to the good old days.
Dennis will be able to clarify this for us all when he posts his benchmark
specs.

> > Witness:
> >
> > FreeBSD 3.X is the fastest thing I have ever seen: it's so much faster
> > than 2.X, I can only guess what 4.X is going to be like!
> >
> > There, now we're neutral again :-)
> >

> What do you mean by fastest? What does it do so much faster
> than 2.x? Fast at what?

Ah, good, now I see you understand :-)

Kris

----
Cthulhu for President! For when you're tired of choosing the _lesser_ of
two evils..