Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:33:15 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        pam@polynet.lviv.ua
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: DEVFS/SLICE real life usage example

> Hi everybody!
>
> Can somebody post a real life example of FreeBSD configuration with
> DEVFS/SLICE?

options		SLICE
options		DEVFS

> Can it be used to totally eliminate /dev (I mean to have empty /dev on root
> filesystem)?

Yes.

> What does mean? (what is its purpose?):
> devfs              16       16        0   100%    dummy_mount

DEVFS keeps an internal "master copy" of /dev, so that even if you
delete nodes from /dev, they still exist (and thus could be
reconstituted).  It needs to mount it somewhere very early on so that
the root filesystem can be mounted from it, but it doesn't want to be
anyhere visible.