Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:39:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        andy.smith@reuters.com (Andy Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FWD: FreeBSD 2.1 and Syquest EZ135

> I have a SyQuest EZ135 135Mb IDE drive on a pentium PC. Even though
> the system is configured correctly for this drive, with the right
> number of C,H,S for 135Mb, FreeBSD reports it as a 270Mb drive and
> doubles the number of cylinders. When configuring the system, I
> manually changed the drive characteristics, but it still insisted that
> it was a 270Mb drive.
>
> I formatted the initial cartridge to 130Mb for /mnt and 140Mb for a
> swap partition, and then do not mount the swap partition. This works
> but is not a solution.
>
> How can I format new cartridges to 130Mb. Do you have any ideas of
> newfs/format commands that I might try??

The format would be a SCSI format.

You haven't given me enough information to tell if the problem is
that the SCSI driver is assuming based on drive type, the drive
is reporting the incorrect type based on its model number, or
the formatted disk has a particular media tag, etc., etc..

Without this information, I can't really say *why* FreeBSD is
saying it's a 270M drive.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---